The teaching staff at Apollo Parkways Primary School together with the community has developed the following shared beliefs with regard to educational practice.
The curriculum provided acknowledges that students come from different backgrounds, learn at different rates and have different learning styles. We provide a broad, open curriculum that allows students to transfer skills and make connections with real life situations.
We recognise that learning is best fostered in a supportive and challenging environment that promotes enjoyment and success for every student. The development of an individual's self esteem is central to learning.
The provision of regular feedback and the opportunity to reflect on learning improves performance. This applies to both children and adults - for in our classrooms we are all both teachers and learners.
Teaching & Learning practices at Apollo Parkways Primary School are designed to improve the learning outcomes for all students in the school.
The school aims to provide each student with a range of learning experiences which:
- Build on existing learning
- Promote individual excellence in learning
- Develop self-esteem, confidence and independence
- Encourage students to think, collaborate and problem solve
- Foster a desire and enthusiasm for life long learning
- Assist students to improve their own learning
- Actively involve students in the planning, organisation and evaluation of their learning
- Cater for the diversity of students’ learning styles
- Assist students to progressively take responsibility for their own learning
- Encourage student autonomy, initiative, leadership and risk taking
- Use raw data and primary sources, along with manipulative, interactive and physical materials
- Encourage student inquiry by asking open-ended questions and seeking elaboration of students’ initial responses